Splendor is a game of chip-collecting and card development. Players are merchants of the Renaissance trying to buy gem mines, means of transportation, shops—all in order to acquire the most prestige points. If you’re wealthy enough, you might even receive a visit from a noble at some point, which of course will further increase your prestige.
On your turn, you may (1) collect chips (gems), or (2) buy and build a card, or (3) reserve one card. If you collect chips, you take either three different kinds of chips or two chips of the same kind. If you buy a card, you pay its price in chips and add it to your playing area. To reserve a card—in order to make sure you get it, or, why not, your opponents don’t get it—you place it in front of you face down for later building; this costs you a round, but you also get gold in the form of a joker chip, which you can use as any gem.
All of the cards you buy increase your wealth as they give you a permanent gem bonus for later buys; some of the cards also give you prestige points. In order to win the game, you must reach 15 prestige points before your opponents do.
- 2015 Origins Awards Best Card Game Nominee
- 2015 Nederlandse Spellenprijs Best Family Game Winner
- 2015 Nederlandse Spellenprijs Best Family Game Nominee
- 2015 Hungarian Board Game Award Nominee
- 2015 Gioco dell’Anno Nominee
- 2015 As d’Or – Jeu de l’Année Nominee
- 2014 Vuoden Peli Adult Game of the Year Nominee
- 2014 Vuoden Peli Adult Game of the Year
- 2014 UK Games Expo Best New Boardgame Winner
- 2014 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2014 Tric Trac de Bronze
- 2014 Spiel des Jahres Nominee
- 2014 Meeples’ Choice Winner
- 2014 Meeples’ Choice Nominee
- 2014 Lys Grand Public Finalist
- 2014 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Winner
- 2014 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Nominee
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Family Board Game Winner
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Family Board Game Nominee
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Board Game Artwork & Presentation Nominee